31 Aug You are a business development manager reporting to the vice president (VP) of business development at one of the largest life sciences orga
You are a business development manager reporting to the vice president (VP) of business development at one of the largest life sciences organizations in the Midwest. Their latest venture is producing a new cancer drug. The recent clinical trials of the organization’s flagship product have shown great success and the owners are considering their options for the future. While the organization has shown constant growth and profitability since its inception in 1999, the owners have decided that it is time to sell. Given the current uncertainty in global markets, the board of directors is not convinced that this is the right approach.
While work is underway to find a potential buyer, the VP has called on you to join the strategic planning team to assess the organization's exit strategy and make recommendations to its board of directors. As part of the strategic planning team, you have been asked to make some initial analyses and help plan for the sale of your organization.
Your first task is to build a guiding coalition; that is, identify the people in the organization who can shape, guide, and sustain the change effort of selling the organization. You will send your recommendations and rationale to the VP.
Identifying people who can effectively lead the change initiative is an important first step. These individuals have the leadership and social skills to ensure that the change effort is communicated throughout the organization; as well, they will report back to the team what employees are saying about the change.
Use the organizational chart and the employee personas provided to guide your selection of the guiding coalition for the organization in the scenario. (A text-only version of the organizational chart is available: Text-Only Organizational Chart.)
Specifically, you must address the following rubric criteria:
- Recommendation: Use the organizational chart and the personas to identify people who should be part of the guiding coalition. Review the personas to identify the individuals who have the influence and commitment to make a positive impact while providing guidance for the change initiative.
- Rationale: Justify your choice of guiding coalition team members. Your responses should address the following for each individual you recommend for the coalition:
- What is the person’s title and how many people do they manage?
- How long has each person been with the organization?
- What area(s) of the organization does this person influence?
- What is your rationale for choosing the person? Consider the person’s characteristics for your rationale.
- What role will each person fulfill as a member of the guiding coalition?
- Team-building strategies: Describe activities and strategies you will introduce to build a well-functioning team. Your response should address the following:
- What strategies will help the members align with the change initiative of the organization in the scenario?
- What steps or actions will you take to establish a sense of urgency within the team?
- How do these activities and strategies help build trust?
Guidelines for Submission
Submit a 3- to 4-page Word document, using double spacing, 12-point Times New Roman font, and one-inch margins. Sources should be cited according to APA style. Consult the Shapiro Library APA Style Guide for more information on citations.
MBA 699 Text-Only Organizational Chart
Mirjam Nilsson (President) has the following direct reports:
• Augusta Bergqvist (VP Business Development), who has the following direct reports:
o You (Business Development Manager)
o Juanita Gonzalez (Business Development Manager)
• Omar Mattsson (Manufacturing Director), who has the following direct reports:
o Angelica Astrom (Supply Chain Strategies)
o Nidal Eidwat (Middle Eastern Operations)
o Ian Smith (North American Operations)
• Flora Berggren (VP Worldwide Sales), who has the following direct reports:
o Chris Botting (Sales Executive)
o Leslie Krupp (Sales Rep)
• Elaine Hartwick (Acting Director), who has the following direct reports:
o April Hansson (Marketing Manager)
• John Martensson (Research Director), who has the following direct reports:
o Patrick Heaton (Research Lab Manager)
o Mei Zheng (Research Lab Manager)
o Joanne Lawrence (Research Lab Manager)
• Ian Hansson (VP Human Resources), who has the following direct reports:
o Stan Raffety (Human Resources Manager)
MBA 699 Employee Personas
The first step in putting together the kind of team that can direct a change effort is to find the right members. Characteristics of effective guiding coalition members are:
• A combination of management and leadership skills to develop both plans and vision • Position power • Expertise (discipline, work experience, decision-making ability) • Credibility (good reputation with the firm, in the industry, or both)
The VP of the life sciences organization you are working for has identified the following employees who might be suitable for inclusion in the guiding coalition:
Name Job Role Characterization Past
productive, she has
managing her time
since returning from
involved in a
merger or an
worked at a
firm during its
(niece of one
of the firm’s
as “a complacent
member of human
resources,” Stan is
usually the point of
contact who is
involved in a
in a guiding
8 1 7
Name Job Role Characterization Past
opening up the
chain in the Middle
East. Although he
people the wrong
way,” he has proven
Omar came to
and has been
has gone so
3 4 n/a
John is responsible
for the scientific
research behind the
oncology drug, and
“doesn’t stop until
the job is done.”
A member of
team, he has
22 4 15
Leslie Sales Rep During her tenure
with the firm, Leslie
has consistently met
her sales targets,
in her career
14 2 8
Although she has a
reputation for being
difficult to work
with, Elaine is
strengths in others
and is often called
“a true visionary.”
Elaine is a
when it comes
to adapting to
10 3 2
Chris has a realistic
sense of his
Chris led the
10 2 4
Mirjam Nilsson President
Augusta Bergqvist VP Business Development
Omar Mattsson Manufacturing Director
Flora Berggren VP Worldwide Sales
Elaine Hartwick Acting Director
John Martensson Research Director
Stan Raffety Human Resources Manager
Patrick Heaton Research Lab Manager
Mei Zheng Research Lab Manager
Joanne Lawrence Research Lab Manager
April Hansson Marketing Manager
You! Business Development
Juanita Gonzalez Business Development
Angelica Astrom Supply Chain Strategies
Nidal Eidwat Middle Eastern Operations
Ian Smith North American Operations
Chris Botting Sales Executive
Ian Hansson VP Human Resources
Leslie Krupp Sales Rep
Life Sciences Organization
- MBA 699�Life Sciences Organization
Our website has a team of professional writers who can help you write any of your homework. They will write your papers from scratch. We also have a team of editors just to make sure all papers are of HIGH QUALITY & PLAGIARISM FREE. To make an Order you only need to click Ask A Question and we will direct you to our Order Page at WriteDemy. Then fill Our Order Form with all your assignment instructions. Select your deadline and pay for your paper. You will get it few hours before your set deadline.