16 Mar Complete a strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats (SWOT) analysis of an organization of your choice. Introduction A SWOT analysis is vital to generating lo
- Complete a strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats (SWOT) analysis of an organization of your choice.
A SWOT analysis is vital to generating long-term strategies.
Strategic management is the formulation, implementation, and evaluation of decisions that help a business achieve its goals (David, 2014). Strategy formulation includes the development of a vision and a mission, determining internal strengths and weaknesses, identifying external opportunities and threats (also known as a SWOT analysis), and establishing long-term strategies and objectives. Strategy implementation requires the organization to create policies and short-term objectives, and to allocate resources so strategies can be achieved. Strategy evaluation reviews external and internal factors, measures performance, and takes corrective action. Strategy formulation can occur at the corporate, divisional, business unit, or functional level. There are financial and non-financial benefits in strategic planning. Success increasingly depends upon being competitive in the global market. Strategic planning can help achieve this imperative.
It is also important to consider an organization's unique purpose and reason for being and how these things are reflected in the organization's vision and mission statements. Vision and mission statements are similar, but a vision statement, according to David (2014), answers the questions "What do we want to become?" and "What is our business?" A mission statement is typically longer and more detailed than a vision statement. Organizations that invite strategists, managers, and employees into the development and communication of their business vision and mission create a heightened sense of purpose.
The vision statement, although often the most commonly overlooked task, is the necessary first step in strategic management. It provides direction for other activities. Like a vision statement, effective mission statements stand the test of time and, although re-examined annually, they are infrequently changed.
David, F. R. (2014). Strategic management: A competitive advantage approach, concepts & cases (15th ed.). Pearson Prentice Hall.
Choose an organization on which to complete a strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats (SWOT) analysis. Ideally, the company you choose will be a familiar one and one to which you have easy access, such as your place of employment or a company close to where you live. You may use the same organization for other assessments in this course. Think of yourself as an outside consultant hired to research, assess, formulate, recommend, and evaluate your selected organization.
It is important to remember that opportunities and threats are external to an organization, and strengths and weaknesses are internal to an organization.
Complete the following:
- First, identify and describe what you consider to be your chosen organization's internal strengths and weaknesses. Examples of internal factors include employees, management, and finance. Use the terms "Strengths" and "Weaknesses" as titles. Then, list three or more factors under each title and describe them.
- Second, identify and describe what you consider to be the organization's external opportunities and threats. Opportunities and threats may include a variety of factors, such as economics, technology, demographics, environmental considerations, culture, competition, and political influences. Use the terms "Opportunities" and "Threats" as titles. Then, list three or more factors under each title and describe them.
- Be sure to both identify and describe the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats of your chosen organization.
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: If you use sources, ensure that resources and citations are formatted according to current APA style and formatting guidelines.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
- Competencies Measured
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 3: Apply a sequential process for developing and implementing strategies, goals, objectives, and tactics as part of the strategic plan implementation.
- Describe internal strengths of the selected organization.
- Describe internal weaknesses of the selected organization.
- Describe external opportunities of the selected organization.
- Describe external threats of the selected organization.
Our website has a team of professional writers who can help you write any of your homework. They will write your papers from scratch. We also have a team of editors just to make sure all papers are of HIGH QUALITY & PLAGIARISM FREE. To make an Order you only need to click Ask A Question and we will direct you to our Order Page at WriteDemy. Then fill Our Order Form with all your assignment instructions. Select your deadline and pay for your paper. You will get it few hours before your set deadline.