23 Apr Medication adherence in the United States remains suboptimal; medication nonadherence is a complex issue that requires patience, presence, and perspective.? ?One
Medication adherence in the United States remains suboptimal; medication nonadherence is a complex issue that requires patience, presence, and perspective. One strategy that has been helpful for improving adherence is a combination of psychotherapy and psychoeducation,which is client-centered and free from counselor agenda. As clinicians, we are not here to coerce, manipulate, or otherwise unduly influence a client to take their medications. Counseling is a safe place to explore what the client is experiencing and thinking;clients needs a safe place to share concerns and explore options. Clients do not lose their rights to autonomy when they enter counseling and receive mental health/ substance use disorder diagnoses. Clinicians remain focused on the client’s initial presenting issues and concerns without inserting a counselor agenda and bias; treatment includes psychotherapy, intervention and education. Clients often are more likely to consider medications when they believe that they are deciding independently, without coercion, to make needed changes. Motivational interviewing (open-ended questions, affirmations, reflection, and summarizations) and empathy are very helpful for enhancing the client’s knowledge about medications, feelings of self-efficacy, intrinsic motivation, and medication adherence.
Assignment (3 pages)
- Give a minimum of four (4) reasons why a client might engage in medication nonadherence.
- What are systemic barriers to medication adherence? Give at least one (1) cultural example where medication nonadherence is a factor that we might face.
- What are counseling techniques that have the potential to improve adherence?
- What are counseling techniques that have the potential to decrease adherence?
- What is appropriate information for you to get from the prescriber, that might help you when working with your client around medication adherence and nonadherence?
- How would you want to be treated if you were in your client’s shoes, skeptical about the use of medications for treatment of mental health and/or substance use disorders?
Assignment will be 3 pages in length, not including cover page or references page. Be sure to support your Assignment with specific references from the literature, text, and resources. In addition to the Learning Resources, the internet for peer-reviewed academic literature to support your Assignment. This Assignment must utilize appropriate APA format and citations.
Our website has a team of professional writers who can help you write any of your homework. They will write your papers from scratch. We also have a team of editors just to make sure all papers are of HIGH QUALITY & PLAGIARISM FREE. To make an Order you only need to click Ask A Question and we will direct you to our Order Page at WriteDemy. Then fill Our Order Form with all your assignment instructions. Select your deadline and pay for your paper. You will get it few hours before your set deadline.